on the results of the International Forum «The Kazakhstan way in to Space: reality and prospects - 2017»
Astana city 20.10.2017
19-20 October 2017 Astana hosted the International Forum “The Kazakhstan way in to Space: reality and prospects - 2017» dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the launch of the first artificial Earth satellite.
It was organized by the Ministry of defense and aerospace industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The purpose of the forum is to share best practices on using the results of space activities to solve the problems of the economic sectors, to review the results of space activities over the past decade, and to discuss the prospects for the development of the space industry in the Republic of Kazakhstan, taking into account world experience.
The annual international seminar «Space Days in Kazakhstan», which started in 2013, was transformed into the International Forum this year, expanding its borders and sphere of influence.
The event was attended by 660 representatives of space agencies and government agencies, famous scientists, specialists of leading world companies in the field of space technology from 22 countries.
In the framework of the plenary session, speeches were made by representatives of «Roskosmos» State Corporation, French companies Airbus Defense and Space and Thales Alenia Space, the Russian company JSC «Information Satellite Systems named after academician M.F. Reshetnev», the Swiss company Leica Geosystems, the Canadian-Spanish company Urthecast / Deimos Imaging, the UAE space agency, the Eurasian Economic Commission and the Astrophysical Institute named after V.G. Fesenkov.
The general meeting of participants of the Consortium «Eurasian technological platform «Space and geoinformation technologies - products of global competitiveness» was held.
Also, the 1st meeting of the Interstate Working Group for the preparation of the draft of intergovernmental program «Integrated System of the Eurasian Economic Union Member States for the provision of space and geoinformation services on the basis of national sources of Earth remote sensing data» was held.
The work of the International Forum was held in 5 sections with workshops on such topics as:
1 section «Experience in the use of remote sensing technologies and HSNS in sectors of the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan»
Within the framework of this section, 23 reports were presented in which speakers from different countries shared their own experience in the use of ERS and HSNS technology in the sectors of the economy, as well as for defense and security. Specialists from Kazakhstan, France, Russia, China and Canada provided their presentations on this topic.
A great interest was caused by the speeches of specialists from Airbus Defense & Space and China Academy of Space Technology.
2 section «Production of space-system engineering»
9 reports were heard and discussed in this section including the leading world manufacturers of space technology: AIRBUS D&S, Thales Alenia Space, Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. (SSTL), JSC «Information Satellite Systems named after academician M.F. Reshetnev», Sereme, China Academy of Space Technology. Also, the report of «Ghalam» LLP on the development of a new generation of "KazEOSat" satellite was heard.
3 section «Communications and telecommunications»
In this section 11 reports of specialists from Kazakhstan, Italy, Russia, China, the USA and Germany were heard. Great interest among the participants was caused by the master classes of using a portable microwave analyzer and testing satellite communication systems.
4 section «Prospects of development of space technologies and attraction of investments into space activity of the Republic of Kazakhstan»
In this section 6 presentations of representatives from Kazakhstan, Russia, the USA and Switzerland were heard. Great interest was caused by the reports on the prospects of application of the Earth remote sensing system at the international level (Digital Globe, RCC), as well as the issues of interaction between the remote sensing systems of different countries (Report about UTP). The Kazakh side reported about the results of the pilot project «Electronic Tracking System».
5 section «Enhancing the environmental safety of the «Baikonur» Cosmodrome»
9 reports were heard and discussed in this section.
A feature of the past International Forum was the holding of the scientific conference «Fesenkov Readings: «Space science in Kazakhstan: states and outlooks» in its framework. It was first time when this conference was held in Astana.
Leading scientists and specialists from organizations of Kazakhstan and Russia, as well as representatives of Nazarbayev University, KazNRTU named after K.I. Satpayev, ENU named after L.N. Gumilev took part in the Fesenkov Readings.
The conference presented scientific and practical seminars on: the development of methods for monitoring and research of astrophysical objects of distant and near space based on modern information technologies; solar-terrestrial physics and geodynamics; devices and hardware-software means of space technology and technologies; topical issues of aerospace materials science in Kazakhstan.
In general, 118 reports and speeches were presented, which indicates the high efficiency of all sections.
During the International Forum meetings with existing and potential partners were organized
The Minister of Defense and aerospace industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan Beibut Atamkulov held bilateral meetings with Senior Vice-President of Airbus Space Systems Hugues Laporte-Veivada and with the General Director of JSC «Information Satellite Systems named after academician M.F. Reshetnev» Nikolay Testoyedov.
The Vice-minister of Defense and aerospace industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan Marat Nurguzhin, the management of the Aerospace Committee and organizations under his supervision held 30 meetings.
Also a number of official documents were signed, including:
- «Agreement of interaction on the use of frequency resources in the orbital position of 86.5 degrees east longitude within the framework of the operation of the spacecraft "KazSAT-2" between «Republican center of space communication» (RК) and JSC «Information Satellite Systems named after Academician M.F. Reshetnev» (RF);
- Memorandum of cooperation for the construction of the 2nd stage of the National Space Center in Astana between JSC «National company «Kazakhstan Gharysh Sapary» (RК) and LLP «King Development» (Malaysia);
- Protocol of cooperation in the development of ERS SS satellites - 3,4 to replace the existing KazEOSat - 1,2 and the application of space images for various sectors of the economy between JSC «National company «Kazakhstan Gharysh Sapary» (RК) and China Academy of Space Technology (CAST);
- Contract for the services of the professional development of space industry specialists of the Republic of Kazakhstan between the Aerospace Committee of the Ministry of Defense and Aerospace Industry of Kazakhstan (RK) and the «Satrec Initiative» company (Korea).
Also in the framework of the forum in the National Space Center in Astana with the support of the International Charitable Foundation "Dialogue of Cultures - One World" a ceremony of opening the bust of the first cosmonaut of the Earth Yu.A. Gagarin was held.
The international forum received wide information coverage. More than 120 materials (news, articles, interviews, direct inclusions, programs, photo and video reports) were published in 41 media outlets (TV channels, newspapers and magazines, news agencies) on this subject.
The final information (reports, presentations, photos) of the forum is available on the website www.gharysh.kz/forum2017.
The participants of the International forum consider that the exchange of views and accumulated experience was productive. The results of joint work are reflected in the following decisions and recommendations:
In the part of using remote sensing and HSNS technologies, space communications and space technology production:
- continue cooperation with leading companies on the use of remote sensing technology and HSNS in the interests of the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan and for national security purposes;
- strengthen cooperation on the joint creation of new technologies, as well as the development of local production of remote sensing and communications satellites;
- summarize the proposals of leading companies and submit to the Aerospace Committee analytical materials with proposals for the development of space communication systems, remote sensing and HSNS;
- exchange existing experience in the production of space technology;
In the part of improving environmental safety, it is relevant to jointly implement scientific research on:
- improving the environmental rationing of the Baikonur cosmodrome’s rocket and space activities;
- development of effective detoxification technologies for soils contaminated with MCT;
- research, modeling and forecasting of processes of MCT transformation in environmental objects;
- the implementation of environmental monitoring of areas affected by rocket and space activities of the Baikonur cosmodrome, taking into account the habitat, the quality of life and health of the population in the adjacent territories;
In the part of the Eurasian technological platform:
- agree a statement from the representative of Armenia - the Foundation of Innovative and Industrial Development on its inclusion in the founders of the Consortium «Eurasian technological platform «Space and geoinformation technologies - products of global competitiveness»;
- create new cooperations and combine the capabilities of the Earth remote sensing system of different countries on the basis of the Unified Technology Platform;
- submit by December 25, 2017 the approved Consortium Work Plan and the List of joint projects in EEC;
In the part of development of space research and human resources:
- continue research into the creation of scientific and methodological foundations for ground and space monitoring of the environment, natural resources, natural and man-made emergencies;
- continue development of aerospace materials science;
- continue development of modern astronomical technologies for the exploration of outer space;
- continue development of instruments and hardware-software means of space technology and technologies;
- actively carry out the work of implementing high technology in the field of Kazakhstan's economy;
- attract young scientists to research and development works of space orientation;
- cooperate with leading universities of Kazakhstan, near and far abroad in the field of space research and technology;
- consider the possibility of increasing grants for doctoral programs in space and related fields;
- periodically publish a collection of materials of the conference under the general title «The Kazakhstan way in to Space: reality and prospects».